/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Mile High Dating Club!

I had the best first date I've ever last week... and it was with a man I didn't know I was going to meet.

I was heading out of town on a business trip and was traveling solo. As I was getting settled in my window sit a guy put his stuff down next to mine. We exchanged smiles and then I went back to my iPhone. (The middle seat was left empty for the entire flight. Fate? What are you trying to tell me?) When the flight attendant told everyone to put away their phones for takeoff I took the lead...

"So, when are you going to make the change?" I said.
"What change?" said plane guy.
"From the blackberry to the iPhone? I just switched and it was the best decision I've made in a while. It's like having a computer with you all the time."
"Well, until the iPhone is available on Verizon, I'm stuck. I live in a black hole and get almost no cell service. Verizon is the only thing that works."
"Black hole? Me too!"

And we were off... we talked nonstop for the next 3 hours. Unlike "real" first dates I've been on, nothing was forced and we covered almost everything from politics to family. We even brought up age...

"So, when did you graduate from school?" asked plane guy.
"2001. No need to do that math, I'm, 30" I replied.
"Haha! I'm 40, but feel more like 35."
"I'm feel more like I'm 35 too. So, I guess we're the same age." I responded. To which he then gave me a high five. HIGH FIVE! How funny, but kinda cool is that?

Plane guy was from the city we were going to so he wrote down a few site seeing suggestions and then asked for my number. He then watched as he insisted I put his info in my cell. (Sidebar: Does this mean I'm expected to call seeing that I have his digits now too? Guys, us ladies prefer to put the ball in your court and see what you do with it!)

I exited the plane thinking this was better than most of the first dates I've ever been on. I didn't dress up (I was in jeans and a T-shirt), I was totally open and myself and was flirty with no effort. It made me think that maybe I should just sit back and let fate go crazy with my love life.

We texted a few times that week and then both returned home to sunny LA. A week went by and I heard nothing. So, as many of the singleton men on twitter reco'd, I took charge and texted him.

There is one thing I'm concerned about... I've made all of the first steps. Texting, chatting, etc. Is this a good thing or bad thing?

Hot drink date is set up for this week... all via text. We'll see what happens. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Now THAT is awesome. I need to meet a man on a plane. Very cool. Look forward to hearing baout your date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See the latest post. The "date" was interesting, but fun. We'll see what happens. Ball is in his court!

    ReplyDelete